Yesterday, we went to Kerinchi to visit my grandaunts and relatives.
Once we arrived there though, the place was a bit spooky, creepy, and sunyi. A few squatters house around there were destroyed.
At first Abah thought the lack of cars was due to people working (we came during office hours). But once we went upstairs, both Opah We and Opah Yah's houses were empty! Spooky I'm telling you!
I peeked into Opah We's hosue, and yeah, I recognized the house. Albeit it being a bit spooky.
So Abah called his cousin and Opah Yah, and we discovered that they had moved to Pantai Permai.
We went there, and lo! their houses were actually better. Bigger, spacier.
*~*~*
Anyways, the point of this entry is to talk about both grandaunts.
When we met Opah We, she immediately recognized me.
"Ni Amalina ke ni? Mana spek mata?"
It amazes me how this old lady can have a sharp mind. She remembers her grandniece and her appearance! (I don't meet her often, mind you).
Opah We led a very hard life (in which I won't explain here. I'm sure every family has its own sob story to tell). I guess that makes her all the more stronger (in mind). Now she's so frail (her legs are weak).
Opah Yah is (alhamdulillah) still loud and boisterous and jolly. Her physical being is okay too (God, she'd rather climb the stairs than take the elevator. I'd rather take the elevator TT__TT)
When I meet Opah We and Opah Yah, I decided I wanted to grow old to be like them--An optimistic, grateful, old lady.
Despite all the hardship in their life, they can still smile and be happy.
Now, I've had enough experience in my life to know that there are some sad, pessimistic, old people.
In fact, I might have gerontophobia (okay, maybe not THAT bad) a while back.
But meeting people like Opah We and Opah Yah, both of whom are happy people, make me want to grow old to be like them.
I don't want to be an old lady who clings to her past.
I want to be a happy, cheerful, old lady.
Even when I have saggy skin, bad eyesight, less teeth, and frail legs.
I want to be optimistic.
*~*~*
I refuse to talk about "Oh, I'm gonna fly soon, so I'm going to be holding a farewell party at my house"
or
"Since I'm going away soon, I'll be going out with my friends to say goodbye".
Let's save that for another day shall we?
In the mean time, I'd rather continue with my slothful way of life.
Antara Socrates dan Salamis: Merenung ‘Kerosakan’ Anak Muda dalam Memori
Sejarah
-
“Berbaloi pelaburan €2 aku!” Saya mengomel sendirian. Saya sedang membaca
buku Corrupting Youth: Political Education, Democratic Culture, and
Political The...
4 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment