Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Organic chem scares me

So, it's the second week of classes. And let me tell you, I'm terrified already.

Especially for my organic chem. I attended the recitation, and everyone else seems to understand what sp hybridization and resonance is all about. I was sitting there with my kesian face and blur expression.

Seriously, I'm scared about this class. The good thing about this though--

Our leader in the recitation is really really nice and enthusiastic about chemistry.

*~*~*

I've made an appointment to meet a tutor next week. Hopefully by then I can catch up with the rest of the class.

The thing is, some things that are taught in CHEM 2 here are not taught in CHEM 2 in INTI.

Paham tak?

So if you've taken CHM152 in INTI, you'll know what I'm talking about. We didn't learn about resonance or sp hybridization that deeply in INTI.

In fact, I was contemplating about dropping org chem and enrolling in general chemistry 2 here. But since my credits are already transferred for Chem 2, I guess I should just stick with Org Chem 1.



Anyways, talking about other things. The other day, I got our apartment short-circuited (is this correct English?).

Back in Malaysia, if you have a short circuit, you look for that box (is that a switch box or a fuse box?) and flip the switch back right?

Then the whole house will have electricity back right?

Well, that's not how it works here in the US.

You see that box up there?

That's a fuse box. You see those 2 things in there? Those are fuses. Somewhere in my brain, I remembered that during KH the fuses didn't look like buttons. They looked cylindrical.

But in the US things are different, I guess.

You know how I had to get electricity back?

I had to manually go to the basement, unscrew two fuses, then get up to my house, and swap fuses.

It's okay if you don't understand what I'm saying here. I didn't neither. I got our electricity back by pure luck--Trial and error.

The technician on the phone (it was Labor Day, no electrician would come to our apartment) lost her patience when she explained the steps to me.

Amalina: You mean, the two round things?
Technicia: YES! Those are the fuses!!!


Seriously though, I sounded like a bimbo with no brain talking to the technician.

*~*~*

Sometimes, it can be so kampung up here in the US.

*~*~*

After this, Ain and I are going to buy extra fuses. Just in case.

:)

*~*~*

So that's it. Raya might be on Friday right? I have psychology and music recitation that day.

Awesome stuffs right?

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to intrude on your blog, but I get a notice when someone mentions organic chem. For hybridization I highly recommend Stephen's videos on youtube - he has a great analogy of mixing of s and p orbitals in terms of mixing "strawberry" and "pear" juice. http://is.gd/create.php
    Any specific questions about organic please feel free to ask me on my blog. best - James

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ the comment above. Iklan? -_-'

    I hate Chemistry 2 in INTI.
    Our lecturer sucks. Really.
    You may ask everyone who is taking or has taken Chemistry 2 in last semester, they'll say the same.

    Could you imagine how does it feel to get only a B with a coursework up to 58/60?

    Frustrating. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, iklan in my secluded blog.

    Aah Rudy, I know about the whole CHEM 2 sad story you guys had--Memang kesian gila, 58/60 and still not even A-, mesti finals korang sangat membunuh. X(

    Takpe2, maybe nanti kat US organic chem korang lagi senang ke. Like us, our CHEM 2 in malaysia was easy, skali kat US susah gila.

    ReplyDelete