You know why history is an interesting subject?
Because you'll never be able to know the whole truth from history. It'll always be distorted by the chroniclers' points of views.
During my parents' time, they learned that Mat Kilau, Tok Janggut, Dato' Bahaman, etc; they were all traitors.
But what did we learn during our time? They were heroes, weren't they? Heroes to us, not to them Westerners.
So now that I'm learning about Ottoman Empire, let me tell you, I honestly don't like the glasses in which I view this Empire. The glasses they gave me here, in this soil. In this land. In this country.
Right now, I'm becoming more cynical about the Empire (true). In fact, you won't like to hear about what I heard and learned about Sultan Al-Fateh from this class.
That's why I've been asking people, "Do you learn about Ottoman Empire?"
Because I want to know their point of view. I want to see if they see it differently than I do.
As I am right now, it's quite hard to discuss about the topic with people who don't have a clue about what I'm talking about, right?
Like, if you were to discuss Japanese history with me right now, I'd give you a blank face and a reply of, "I don't really know."
*~*~*
I think, when I'm back in Malaysia, I'll have to hunt down some historians, or maybe enrol in some history classes again.
Just so I can get to see this Empire with two different pairs of glasses.
:)
Antara Socrates dan Salamis: Merenung ‘Kerosakan’ Anak Muda dalam Memori
Sejarah
-
“Berbaloi pelaburan €2 aku!” Saya mengomel sendirian. Saya sedang membaca
buku Corrupting Youth: Political Education, Democratic Culture, and
Political The...
4 months ago
I found one article on the internet, entitle "kejatuhan empayar othmaniah". I dont think you will get a different angle here,why? because the writer was using Western books as his/her reference.
ReplyDeleteMaybe if we read arabic books, then the angle will be different. But is it the correct ones? Wallahualam.
My advise dont worry too much, the empire and the kings are only humans, and humans make mistake.....