Thursday, December 16, 2010

Halal, Haram, Syubhah

Remember I showed the pictures of the roses (and subsequently the interior of our restroom), right? Then Nadiah-san told me to be careful with the Vaseline and Herbal Essence stuffs.

And turns out, she was right.

I have to be careful with glycerin in things.

So I immediately checked those stuffs out, and sure enough, a LOT of things contain glycerin (and stearates) in hygiene stuffs.

What I did then?

I stopped using everything that contains glycerin in the house. Fortunately, I have this baby bath that doesn't contain syubhah things, so I used that.

Next, I emailed the companies, asking them if a particular product that I have contains animal ingredients in them.

*~*~*

I didn't email Herbal Essences and Vaseline's companies though. I pretty much stopped using them at once. But if you want, you can email their companies on your own, and get your answer by yourself.

*~*~*


I bought this thing for $1. Pretty cheap huh? I emailed the company, but they still haven't replied to me. Haven't touched this thing since then.

*~*~*


I was confident at first that Olay won't have any haram things in them, but I emailed Olay just to make sure. I got the reply today:


Thanks for contacting Olay, Nur.

This product may or may not contain animal by-products, depending on what ingredient source was available at the time of manufacture. The ingredients may be derived from a variety of vegetable sources, such as coconut or palm kernel oil, or animal sources, typically beef or pork, hides or bones. Please be assured P&G uses vegetable resources whenever possible. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine if a specific product used the vegetable or animal by-products.

Hope this is helpful.
MirandaOlay Team


Since it's still unclear as to what I actually have in my own Olay bottle, I will not continue using it.

*~*~*



Tengok berapa banyak dah aku guna benda ini, huhuu... TT__TT

*~*~*


This little thing I bought from CVS. Unfortunately, CVS's website doesn't have any customer service where we can email them. So I just stopped using this thing. If you have this, maybe you can call CVS to make sure.



*~*~*


Cetaphil moisturizer is really good~~~. Unfortunately, it contains animal ingredients. I got an email reply:


The Derivation of Glycerin is both Vegetable and Synthetic.

The Cetaphil® Daily Facial Moisturizer w/spf 15 does contain stearates derived from an animal and synthetic source.

Best regards,
Special Services Specialist
Galderma Laboratories, L.P.


I sent another email asking about the types of animals used (fish bones, pork, beef, etc), but as of right now, I haven't received any reply yet.


*~*~*

I emailed Johnson and Johnson, and they were the first one to reply. Unfortunately, I had to call Clean & Clear to know about the ingredients.



A man answered my call. I specifically asked about the glycerin (that seems to be my main concern), and he told me he wasn't sure if the glycerin is synthetic or natural, but he assured me that this particular product contains no animal ingredients.


Kalau dia tipu tak tau la kan, but right now I'm using this face wash again.

*~*~*

The syubhah things I no longer use-- I put them on top of our shelf. Biar tak dapat dicapai.


And the new things we bought today. Yeay!



We went to South Side today to buy stuffs for our travel. Hopefully these things will not contain any animal ingredient.

St. Ives claims that their products don't contain animal ingredients (quoted directly from the back of the body wash).

Nature's Gate claims they produced the shampoo and conditioner without animal testing and with no animal byproducts (quoted directly from the back of the products).

And Alba Botanica claims their mositurizer and lip balm contain 100% Vegetarian Ingredients.

Okay, sekarang saya letak kepercayaan atas benda-benda ini.

Saya dah check website St Ives, Nature's Gatem dengan Alba Botanica, and nampak macam ingredients mereka boleh dipercayai.

Jadi lepas ni, benda lain semua tinggal tawakal kepada Allah.

*~*~*

Oh, I also checked our handsoap, and it contains glycerin--but no website. So we stopped using them.

I also emailed the bread company (since the bread we had contained mono/diglyceride. Here's the reply:

Nur Amalina:

Thank you for your inquiry.

The mono/diglycerides are vegetable based. We do not have animal-based ingredients in this product.

On behalf of Maple Leaf Bakery, we realize your time is valuable and appreciate your contacting us. If you have any further questions on this or any of our other products, please feel free to contact me.

Peggy O. Fidanza

Customer Relations Coordinator

Maple Leaf Bakery


*~*~*

Okay, itu sahaja.

Doakanlah supaya dipermudahkan urusan kami di US ini.

Salam.

9 comments:

  1. Boleh saya tanya , yang ini untuk di US sahaja atau sekali dekat Malaysia ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. salam

    amalina, cek kat sini.
    senang sket insyaAllah

    http://muslimconsumergroup.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Farah:
    Saya tak pasti. Tapi kalau barang-barang kat Msia mungkin made in Thailand, or Singapore, and kat Msia insyaAllah ada JAKIM nak pantau benda-benda halal-haram ni, jadi kalau still ada questions, better tanya JAKIM atau orang kat Msia la ye.

    Maybe apa yang ada dalam Herbal Essence di Malaysia tak ada dalam Herbal Essence di US, sebab guna different sources (ni contoh la).

    Yang menjadi problem kami di US is sebab barang2 dia made in US jugak, and takda organization besar yang boleh pantau ingredients tu. Jadi kami kena buat kajian sendiri.

    And to Nisah, mmg Amalina dah jumpa website tu, thank you. :)
    Tapi die tak comprehensive sangat(to me lah), sebab macam bnyk products yang not listed there.
    But I still use that as my reference jugak sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh , macam tu . Terima kasih ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salam.

    Ingredients mana yg ptt di check yep? Confused, hehe.

    Pipah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasalam,

    Aku check glycerin dgn stearates. Kalo ko nak email, ko tanya pasal those two, and ask them if any other ingredients pun animal-based.

    Tapi those two utk personal hygiene stuffs la. Ada ba~~~nyak benda lain ko boleh cari utk dipastikan ke-halal-an nya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. salam amalina,

    even food pun kene hati2 :)
    mungkin link yang hanisah bagi tu berguna untuk ktia di amerika ni :)
    insyaALLAH :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. halal, haraaaaaaaam, haaaaaaaaalal, pot, pot, pot.........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank god St. Ives isn't made up of animal product.

    But, you really are careful on these things, it surprises me.

    ReplyDelete