Friday, March 26, 2010

Of ancestry

Some people (if not most) are really proud of their ancestry. I'm sure most of us had met people like this. In England, for example, the feudal system gave titles to "noble" families. You can be Dukes, Earls, Marquess, Viscounts, and such.

In Malaysia, the typical titles would be Raja, Tengku, Nik, Megat, Puteri, Tuan, Syed, Sharifah, and so many others that I'm sure I have never heard of.

Some people are really, really proud of their titles (even if they never say it out loud).

Some others, however, do not have any titles to their names, but they are still proud of their ancestors.

"Moyang aku dulu imam kampung."

"Atuk aku dulu orang alim."

*~*~*

It's inevitable to be proud of one's ancestry (I was proud of mine once). But really, what is there to be proud of?

The Raihan song "Iman tak dapat diwarisi" rings so true.

So your moyang was an Imam. So what? Does that mean your iman is as great? Did you inherit your moyang's iman?

*~*~*

I'm pointing this out because it irritates me when people get overly proud of their ancestors.

While it's true that people usually look up to good lineages, it all boils down to nothing if you yourself is worthless.

*~*~*

Thus, please, stop shoving the, "I am from a good stock, unlike you who came from a mediocre lineage" talk.

Because Allah looks at YOUR iman. Not your parents' nor your ancestors'. You can't go to Heaven just by simply saying, "Oh, I'm related to that alim person."

Please. Stuff. It.

*~*~*

If you come from a good family, well, good for you. Now prove your worth by being a decent person who obeys Allah's rules.


P/S: Why is that when I write something, it sounds like I'm bashing people?

P/P/S: Maybe it's because I'm talking about my real-life experience and my dislike of such people.

No comments:

Post a Comment