Thursday, February 3, 2011

Digimon

For our Seminar in Composition class, we have to write about someone (or something) who is almost similar to us--especially if that person has made an impact in our life. The person doesn't have to be real, but they have to be famous (no aunts or uncles).

You know what I chose?

I chose Digimon.

I know, childish, blah blah blah... But the truth is I grew up with Digimon.

*~*~*

This particular assignment made me realize--Since I was small I wasn't brought up with the stories of the sahabats or the prophets.

Why can't I make an essay, saying "I grew up listening to the stories of Aisyah, or Fatimah, or Khadijah, and I grew up trying to emulate them!"

Why did I grow up knowing about Taichi and Daisuke more?

Why?

*~*~*

Trust me, I tried saying I wanted to write about the Prophet, but thinking back, I know that's not the truth.

How can I write about something I know is not true?

How can I lie saying. "Oh, when I was 14, I had this bad thing happening to me, and I remembered how the Prophet was also having a hard time..."

Nope.

I remembered around 14 I was obsessed with Digimon.

Around 15 I was obsessed with Gundam Seed Destiny.

Around 16 I was obsessed with ToTA, Ouran, maybe FFX.

Not kidding you. I can remember animes I was attached to more than I remember how much I remembered the Prophet.

*~*~*

Honestly, if any of you were given this assignment, who would you choose?

Athletes? Celebrities? Presidents? Mangakas? Hermione Granger? Frodo?

Maybe Tidus? Cloud (god no, don't EVER become like Cloud).

Goku? Akira Toriyama?

Tun Mahathir?


Why, why, why, couldn't I choose the Prophet? Any prophet? Any sahabats?

Heck, I don't know most of the sahabats now, I sure didn't know them back then.

Why?

*~*~*

It's not that I'm blaming my parents for the way they raised me, no way. I love them, I think I'm a living proof that they did a good job of raising a child.

But there's something. It's not that there's anything wrong per se, but something's just missing.

*~*~*

Maybe if I have a child, I'd want him to grow up listening to stories of Abu Dzar.

Or Salahuddin al-Ayubi.

*~*~*

You know what, now that I think about it, I think it's important for Muslims to develop more animations or entertainment substances based on Islamic history and stories.

Because otherwise, Muslim children will have no alternative but to watch what is available to them.

And my child might end up being a Digimon freak like me.

2 comments:

  1. I would write about my parents. Honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saya dah hantar essay digimon saya.February 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM

    That's a good point. But they want famous ppl. and my parents ain't famous to the world. too bad.

    ReplyDelete